Just a quick little post to give you the recipes and the how-to for these cute little birthday treats, the sundae cupcakes! I made them yesterday for my 28th birthday.
Since I’ve seen the superb banana split birthday cake of alanabread, I wanted to try her technique for faux ice cream made with buttercream. Turned out it wasn’t super easy, but I think it’s because I didn’t have the right tool. One of these ice cream scoop would have been very handy but I just had a small one, too small to put on a cupcake.
I suggest you use a buttercream recipe with powdered sugar and butter instead of swiss-meringue buttercream (I found it was more difficult to make the faux ice cream scoops with the swiss-meringue buttercream).
You’ll need :
- The cupcake recipe of your choice (I used the Best vanilla cupcake from Cupcake Project)
- The buttercream of your choice (I used the quick vanilla buttercream from Food Network)
- Ganache thinned with corn syrup
- Maraschino cherries (with stems)
- Chopped peanuts
How to :
- Make the cupcakes. Let cool.
- Prepare the frosting. Freeze until hard.
- Prepare the ganache. Add corn syrup to get a dripping consistency (not too runny though).
- Shape the buttercream with a ice cream scoop. Place a scoop on top of each cupcake.
- Drizzle the ganache on top of the scoops. Add sprinkles and peanuts and top with a maraschino cherry.