I hope you had a great week! Today we have donuts to kick off the long weekend (it’s Quebec’s National Holiday on Monday). I’m a big fan of malted chocolate (Whoppers/Maltesers, yes please!) and each recipe including malted milk powder I’ve made so far have been a huge success! These donuts are no exception. Baked donut are just as good as fried ones and much more healthy (or let’s say less unhealthy!). These donuts are very moist and light. And the icing is super chocolatey and delicious. I’m so biased here, sorry 😉
Before I give you this absolutely delightful recipe, let me remind you to enter the Ice Cream Set Giveaway (Contest ends June 25th, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time). Here’s what you might win :
I really wish I could participate! I don’t have any of these, but I did read the book!
Malted Chocolate Mini Donut
Yield: 36 mini donuts
Recipe slightly adapted from United Cakedom
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chocolate malted-milk powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Maltesers/Whoppers (about 20), coarsely chopped + more for garnish
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons chocolate malted-milk powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (add more if needed)
For the donuts:
- Grease donut pan and preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Sift together flour, malted-milk powder, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk together the egg and sugar. Add the milk, oil, sour cream, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture, whisk to remove all lumps.
- Fill each donut form half full.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to rack and let cool.
For the icing:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add milk, golden syrup, chocolate and chocolate malted-milk powder and stir slowly until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and sift in icing sugar. Whisk until combined.
- Immediately dip the top of each donut into the icing and transfer back to the wire rack. Sprinkle with chopped Maltesers/Whoppers.