Here is the cherry cookie recipe I told you about in my last post. You really need those for Christmas, they are always a huge success. And with these red and green maraschino cherries, they are perfect for the holidays! You can bake them in advance and freeze them until Christmas.
I was totally amazed last week when I went to the grocery store and saw that there was not just only red and green maraschino cherries, but blue, yellow and orange ones too! Did you know that? Took me all my will to turn around and go without buying some. Imagine the nice rainbow desserts you could do with those! *Sigh*.
Sorry for this quick post, it’s end of term rush at school! It’s ending this Friday!
Cherry and Chocolate Christmas Cookies
Yield 3 dozens
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups coconut
1 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, coarsely chopped (green and red)
- Cream shortening and sugar in a large bowl until the mix is light and creamy.
- Add the eggs and the almond extract beating on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to creamy mixture gradually beating on low speed.
- Stir in the choolate chips, coconut and cherries.
- Drop tablespoons fill in greased baking sheet (or lined with parchment paper).
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 350°F or until the sides of the cookies are slightly brown.